Thursday, May 03, 2007

The butcher, the grocer, and the veggie man

After doing business with those three merchants, they came to know me by face. Last week I finally managed to know them personally. The butcher (Joseph) visited the Florida during his honeymoon and was not pleased with the coldness of the people that he encountered. I tried to explain to him that that attitude in prevalent in any big city in the USA. The grocer barely talks. Most of the answers I got are yes, no, and goodbye :(. The veggie man drives around the neighborhood with his truck full of fresh produce, bottled water, and eggs (they don't refrigerate eggs so we make sure that we cook them thoroughly). We buy bottled water (6-pack of 1.5L bottle) every week because tap water is not drinkable. It cost me LM1 and a lot of muscle strain hauling the water to our 3rd floor flat. During our first three weeks, we were boiling water for our coffee and tasted some hint of saltiness. I didn't realize that the water is not fit for drinking nor cooking until a student started describing their water filtration system. It really didn't hurt us except for a slight elevation in blood pressure ;). I guess the rule is "When in doubt...ask a native"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home